George Parker
South African team for Parker’s debut Test, at Edgbaston in 1924. Back, from left: Dave Nourse, George Parker, Bob Catterall, Nummy Deane, Fred Susskind, Sid Pegler, Buster Nupen, George Hearne (12th man). Front row: Tommy Ward, Herbie Taylor (c), Mick Commaille, Jimmy Blanckenberg © Getty Images

Born May 27, 1899, George Parker had one of the shortest domestic careers among Test cricketers. Abhishek Mukherjee looks at the South African with one of the most intriguing First-Class careers.

An exceptionally fast bowler, George MacDonald Parker played only 3 First-Class matches; the South Africans had a good look at Parker (who was playing for Eccleshill in the Bradford League at that point of time) on his First-Class debut, drafted him in to play two Tests, and that was it.

Born in Cape Town, Parker moved to England to try his luck in League Cricket. Herbie Taylor’s team had a dismal start on their English tour of 1924, winning only the Varsity match at Fenner’s of the 10 he played. The only bowler to have some success was Sid Pegler, who was not even a part of the original squad.

A desperate Taylor drafted in Parker for the match against Oxford. There was no play in the match barring 4 hours on Day Three, but it was enough for Parker to show his skills: he had 4 wickets (3 of them bowled), had 3 catches dropped off his bowling, and finished with 4 for 34. Play was called off with Oxford on 117 for 9.

The Oxford match got over on June 13. The next day Parker was given his Test cap at Edgbaston.

Test cricket

Taylor gave Parker choice of ends ahead of Pegler. Jack Hobbs and Herbert Sutcliffe belted the South Africans around the park, and Frank Woolley and Patsy Hendren joined in the fun as well. Parker toiled hard. Wisden wrote: “He bowled himself to a standstill and became so exhausted that he had to leave the field shortly before the drawing of stumps, the South Africans finishing the day with ten men.” As things had turned out, Parker had left the field without informing anyone and not responding to any question from his teammates. When Taylor asked him, he mentioned that he was tired, and did not return.

The Times mentioned that Parker bowled “a quick, almost fast” ball, but when he bowled them, a full over “takes an unconscionable time to deliver.” The Guardian reported: “He is immensely deliberate as he walks to his bowling place; his eyes are cast on the earth, and he walks slowly and solemnly as though pondering mighty problems. The wildness of his bowling made a quite sensational contrast to his solid deportment.”

He had other oddities as well. When he was having trouble bowling to Woolley, he went up to the batsman and asked whether the field placement was right for a left-hander. Despite all that, he had taken 5 wickets (including Sutcliffe, Woolley, Hendren, and Percy Chapman) on Day One before leaving, and bowled George Wood the next morning. England were bowled out for 438, and Parker finished with 6 for 152 in a display of hostile fast bowling. In the process Parker became the sixth South African to take a five-for, and the third to take a six-for on Test debut.

Arthur Gilligan and Maurice Tate then bowled the tourists out for 30 in 12.3 overs; they did a lot better after following on, but were bowled out for 390, Gilligan and Tate sharing 9 of the 10 wickets this time. Batting at 11, Parker scored 0 and 2*.

Desperate for a fightback, Taylor summoned Aubrey Faulkner at Lord’s, and retained both Pegler and Parker. The bowling attack looked formidable on paper, but Hobbs and Sutcliffe decimated the Protean attack, adding 268 for the opening stand before Woolley had two century stands with Hobbs and Hendren.

Gilligan declared on 531 for 2, amassed at 4.50 runs an over; both wickets went to Parker: Sutcliffe played one on, while Hobbs played an almost bored shot. Parker finished with 2 for 121 while South Africa managed 273 and 240 (Parker scored 1* and a golden duck); he never played another Test and went back to Bradford League.

Final days

Back to South Africa, Parker married Marguerite Grace ‘Peg’ Illingworth in 1929 and had five children. He became a sheep-breeder and moved to Australia. He passed away at Thredbo on May 1, 1969 — 26 days short of his 70th birthday.

(Abhishek Mukherjee is the Deputy Editor and Cricket Historian at CricketCountry. He blogs at and can be followed on Twitter at