Karachi: Feb 15, 2012
Pakistan's experienced all-rounder, Abdul Razzaq could face disciplinary action from the PCB after he allegedly misled the national selection committee into believing that he was unfit to bowl.
A source close to the selection committee told PTI that Razzaq, who is playing for Duronto Rajshahi in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), was given a NOC by the Pakistan Cricket Board to take part in the league after he told the selectors he would not be able to bowl if selected for Pakistan.
"Razzaq was under consideration for the one-day series against England. But he informed the selectors that due to a shoulder injury he couldn't bowl. He claimed he should be given a NOC for the BPL where he would only play as a batsman," the source said.
"The selectors didn't consider him because Razzaq said he was not fit to bowl," the source said.
"But now Razzaq is bowling for Rajashahi side in the BPL.
He is not only batting but also bowling regularly for them which is strange," the source said.
Chief selector, Mohammad Illyas, when contacted, confirmed that Razzaq had informed him he would not be able to bowl in the BPL.
"I don't know what is the situation now but he told us he was not fit to bowl," Illyas said.
Sources close to the board said that chairman, Zaka Ashraf had taken note of the incident since Razzaq was among those players given central contracts by the board last year.
"Razzaq will be asked to give an explanation over how he claimed he was unfit to bowl," a source said. (PTI)