Sydney: Jun 27, 2011
Cricket Australia said Monday that it expects Sri Lanka to provide adequate security for Australia's tour this year despite a slashing of the security budget.
CA officials visited Sri Lanka last week as part of standard pre-tour reconnaissance and were satisfied with the assurances they received for Australia's August-September tour, a CA spokesman said.
Sri Lankan sports minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage Sunday said the budget for Australia's visit had been cut, affecting the amount of money allotted to security.A CA spokesman said Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) had assured them during last week's visit that security would be similar to that provided at the recent cricket World Cup.
"The commitments they've given to us were completely acceptable," the CA spokesman told Australian Associated Press.
"We'll stay close to them as the tour date gets closer to make sure there are no changes to those details."
Australian Cricketers' Association chief executive Paul Marsh has backed CA's stance."Player safety and security is paramount to us and we expect these (promised) measures will be in place for the tour," Marsh said.
Australia are due to play three Tests, five one-day matches and two Twenty20 games during their August 6 to September 20 tour. Australia will play three Tests, five one-day matches and two Twenty20 games during their Sri Lanka tour.