In an embarrassment of sorts for Cricket Association of Bengal, the opening day's proceedings of a senior division league could not be held as the groundsmen had poured water on the pitch, unaware of the East Bengal-Kalighat fixture.
The miscommunication has led to a blame game in the CAB with the veteran local curator, Prabir Mukherjee, once again in the middle of the latest fiasco.
The 83-year-old, who was in the centre of a controversy of a pitch row during India-England Test in December last year, claimed that this had happened because of a miscommunication on the part of the CAB.
"This would not have happened had they informed me about the fixture. Even I was not there as I was running [a] high fever Monday and took a day's leave. The poor groundsmen did not know and had watered the field," Mukherjee said.
Passing the buck to the secretary, CAB treasurer Biswarup Dey said, "It's the secretary who looks after the local matches. We have to find out what happened. It was a clear case of miscommunication."
As per the rules, a minimum of 40 over-a-side match has to be played for the two-day league to be on.
The officials will take a final call tomorrow.
First Published: January 30, 2013, 7:13 pm