By CricketCountry Staff
Brisbane: Feb 17, 2012
Former Indian bowling coach Eric Simons, who was replaced by Joe Dawes for the job, revealed on Friday that he was not sacked by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), and instead he did not seek an extension.
“I did not want an extension. It was always going to end after the Australia series, no matter the outcome of the matches," Simons said.
"I am not sacked contrary to what is believed. The full story is, after the World Cup, Duncan asked me to stay on. I agreed to do so until the England tour.
I was then asked to continue for the Australia tour too and told him that I would not be able to extend my term beyond that,” Simon was quoted as saying by MiD-DAY.
On Tuesday, BCCI replaced Simons with former Australian cricketer Dawes as the new bowling coach.
Simons will continue as India’s bowling coach on Australia tour, after which he plans to stay close to his family.
"During the West Indies series in India, I was asked if I would reconsider. I said I could not, as I had then effectively been away from home for almost two years. I was never going to continue beyond the Australia series.”
Simons did meet Dawes in the ongoing tour of Australia.
"I have met Joe Dawes (on this tour), but do not know him as a coach.”
Previously, Simons had been the bowling coach of South Africa for two years before Ray Jennings replaced him in 2004.