Also on cricketcountry.com
London: Jan 31, 2014
Despite the former Zimbabwe international being in charge of England’s recent 5-0 Ashes series Test drubbing in Australia, the ECB said they wanted to retain his services, while Flower himself said he would remain a selector “for the time being”.
Flower, explaining his reasons for standing down, said in an ECB statement: “Following the recent very disappointing Ashes defeat it is clear to me that this is now time for England cricket, led by (captain) Alastair Cook, to rebuild with a new set of values and goals.
“I do not feel like I am in a position to undertake that challenge.”
In the same statement, ECB managing director Paul Downton said: “We are at advance stages of negotiating a role for Andy within the ECB structure which will best utilise his undoubted skills.”
In December 2012, Flower ceded daily responsibility for the running of England’s one-day teams to former England spinner Ashley Giles, who has been tipped as his eventual successor when it come to coaching the Test side.
But Flower said he’d come to the conclusion a man in his position needed to be “responsible across all formats”.
“In order for England cricket to make significant progress I believe that the team director, together with the respective captains, needs to be responsible across all formats in order to positively influence the rebuilding process,” he explained.
“This will ensure complete clarity and continuity across the squads and having stepped aside from the limited overs squads 14 months ago that is not something I am able to do.
“This has been a very difficult decision to make. I remain committed to England cricket and would like to wish Alastair Cook and Paul Downton every success.”
Flower added, “I will remain in my position as a selector for the time being and am currently exploring possible roles within the ECB.”
Flower had been England’s head coach since 2009.
He oversaw three Ashes series victories and guided England to the 2010 World Twenty20 title — the first time they had won a major international limited overs event.
“Andy has been the most successful coach in England’s history and we at the ECB are very disappointed to see him leave the role as Team Director,” added former England wicketkeeper Downton in a statement that said he’d met with Flower earlier this week.
“We respect his decision and the reasons for it but we are keen to keep Andy’s experience and outstanding knowledge within the ECB.”
England beat Australia 3-0 in a home Ashes last year but were thrashed just months later in the return series.
But, under Giles, the losses have kept coming in Australia, a 4-1 one-day series reverse followed most recently by an eight-wicket defeat in the second Twenty20 international in Melbourne on Friday that left England 2-0 down in a three-match series.
Play Fantasy Cricket & Win
Cash Daily! Click here