David Warner denies being under pressure ahead of second Test
David Warner says he is looking forward to proving himself against South Africa’s world-class pace attack in Adelaide © AFP
Sydney: Nov 15, 2012
Australian opener David Warner on Thursday denied he was feeling the pressure after a lean run and said it was only a matter of time before he hits his explosive best again.
The left-hander, whose stunning 180 against India this year prompted comparisons with batting great Adam Gilchrist, has struggled since then and failed again in the first Test against South Africa.
But the 26-year-old said he wasn’t concerned, despite watching fellow opener Ed Cowan, captain Michael Clarke and Mike Hussey all help themselves to big scores in Brisbane while he was out for four.
“I don’t think so at all,” Warner told reporters when asked if he felt under pressure heading into the second Test in Adelaide next week.
“As long as we are winning games and we are on the way to becoming number one… as long as we are winning games, that’s all that counts.
“I’m feeling good, I’m nice and refreshed. I’m ready to go again.
“I’ve been sitting in the changing room for a long time watching the other guys score a lot of runs and I’m ready to get back out there myself,” he added.
Warner said he was looking forward to proving himself against South Africa’s world-class pace attack in Adelaide and vowed to continue his aggressive approach.
“I’ll be hitting a lot of balls this week and I will prepare as well as I can prepare,” he said.
“Nothing changes for me, it’s a simple game plan … all guns blazing if I can.”