ICC to consider decision in Ravindra Jadeja-James Anderson case
The BCCI had earlier approached the ICC Chief Executive to appeal the decision © Getty Images
Aug 5, 2014
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has released a statement to confirm that they are considering the decision made in the Pushgate controversy. Both James Anderson and Ravindra Jadeja were found not guilty and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) was not happy with the England pacer being let off. As a result, they approached the ICC Chief Executive Dave Richardson to appeal the decision.
Under the ICC Code of Conduct, only Richardson can decide on this and he has only seven days to make the call. Earlier, Sanjay Patel, the BCCI secretary had said, “We are expected to receive a detailed copy of the order that was passed by the Judicial Commissioner either by today or tomorrow. We will only be able to take a call in this regard after receiving the order copy. A detailed legal analysis is required before deciding on future course.”
He added, “Our legal team will study the report and will give us feedback. In such cases, every point needs to be studied minutely and it will take some time. So it is premature to conclude whether we will appeal.” Both Anderson and Jadeja were cleared by the ICC due to lack of video evidence during the hearing. But before that, Jadeja was fined 50 per cent of his match fees which was later taken back by the ICC.
“The ICC confirms that it has received and is considering the written decision of His Honor Gordon Lewis AM, the Judicial Commissioner, in respect of his findings that England?s James Anderson and Ravindra Jadeja of India were not guilty of breaching the ICC Code of Conduct and Player Support Personnel, following an exhaustive disciplinary hearing which was held in Southampton on Friday,” the ICC said in a statement.
Click here for the complete coverage on the pushgate affair
Complete coverage of India’s tour of England 2014