New Delhi: Oct 22, 2013
Putting an end to weeks of speculation, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Tuesday gave its consent to India’s tour of South Africa after Cricket South Africa (CSA) withdrew its CEO Haroon Lorgat from not just its dealings with the Indian Board but also the ICC Chief Executives Committee pending an enquiry into his actions.
“Following meetings in London over the past couple of days, CSA and the BCCI have today announced that the South Africa cricket team will play against India in an upcoming home series comprising of two Test matches and three One Day International matches, the specific dates and details of which will be announced in due course,” the BCCI and CSA said in a joint statement.
“In addition, both parties have also agreed to continue with good faith discussions between their respective Presidents about the possibility of agreeing further bilateral arrangements in respect of the scheduled fixtures between the two teams, and taking into account any scheduling imbalances from previous years.”
The tour that had been in limbo ever since July after CSA unilaterally released its itinerary, a move which miffed the BCCI. The Indian Board was also not too happy with Lorgat’s appointment as CEO.
The BCCI’s uneasiness with Lorgat stemmed from the somewhat frosty relationship that the BCCI shared with him during his stint as the ICC CEO due to their differences over a number of issues.
Matters came to a head recently when CSA’s former legal adviser David Becker, allegedly at the behest of Lorgat, accused BCCI President N Srinivasan of being manipulative.
The BCCI-CSA statement said the ICC has now decided to investigate the matter, including Lorgat’s reported role, even though Becker has maintained that the views expressed were completely his own.