Jesse Ryder attacked: Cricketer thanks fans after coming out of coma
Jesse Ryder was out of coma but did not have any memory of the attacks on him outside a bar in Christchurch © Getty Images
Wellington: Mar 31, 2013
New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder issued his first public statement since walking out of coma and told his supporters he is “OK”.
According to a report on stuff.co.nz, the Kiwi batsman was moved from intensive care into a Christchurch Hospital ward as his condition improved.
Ryder thanked since his fans for support in the first public statement since being assaulted outside a Christchurch bar early on Thursday morning.
”I just want to let everyone know that I’m OK. I feel heaps better today but still really tired. I’ve been reading your messages that have been sent so thank you to everyone for thinking of me over the last few days. I want to thank everyone who has been caring for me at the hospital – they have been awesome. Thank you to my family and friends who have been here also,” Ryder’s statement said.
”It is time for Jesse to focus on his recovery and getting back to full health,” Aaron Klee, Ryder’s manager, said.
The troubled cricketer was surrounded by family and friends as doctors woke him and took him off a ventilator about 10 am.
He is able to talk, but has no recollection of the attack outside Aikmans Bar in the Christchurch suburb of Merivale that left him with life-threatening head and internal injuries.
“It was emotional for us that we were there to see [him emerge from the coma]. It happens quite quickly once they start changing the level of drugs. Just to see him wake up and acknowledge that you are there and then start asking for people, I guess then you know that he’s there,” Klee added.
Doctors were pleased with Ryder’s progress but had given no indication about how long he would spend in hospital, Klee said.
“They were assessing what sort of damage may have been done but at the moment it very much looks like a very bad concussion. He’s got a bit of damage to his lungs and that’s been the toughest part and that’s what they’ve been most concerned about.”
The last three days had been an emotional roller coaster for family, friends and fans, who initially did not know whether Ryder would make it.
“There’s been tears all week but it was just great to be able to engage with him again,” Klee said.
“We’re all pretty exhausted. It’s been a pretty difficult few days but having some wins over the last 24 hours has been a huge relief.”
Asked what Ryder’s first words were Klee said: “I can’t repeat those. Put it this way, it’s not like it is in the movies where they wake up peacefully and they give everyone a big hug.”
However, as the effects of the drugs subsided he was able to have “good conversations” with family and friends.
Klee told the Sunday Star-Times he had asked Ryder if he had a message for his supporters. “All he said was ‘Get me out of here’ so he’s ready to run before he can walk,” he said.
The 28-year-old was scheduled to fly to India yesterday to take up a $300,000 contract with the Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League. He would not receive any of that money and was not covered by any insurance other than ACC, Klee said.
Full coverage of the attack on Jesse Ryder in a Christchurch bar