He has represented England in six Tests and One-Day Internationals while played one T20I also in the past © Getty Images
He has represented England in six Tests and One-Day Internationals while played one T20I also in the past © Getty Images

Former England batsman Michael Carberry could be back in training soon just six months after he was diagnosed with cancer, Hampshire‘s director of cricket Giles White revealed on Tuesday. The 36-year-old — who played the last of his six Tests in 2014 — underwent an operation on the tumour and White said he had been very encouraged when he saw him earlier this month. Carberry, who found out he had cancer when he sat out a county championship match in July because he was feeling unwell, previously suffered from ill health in November 2010 when he had blood clots on one of his lungs for which he is still taking medication.

“Carbs is doing really well after a successful operation. He looked a lot better when I saw him before Christmas,” he told the Southern Daily Echo. “He was looking to start practising again in the new year so hopefully, he’ll be in the nets soon. It’s now about working back to full fitness. We’ll support him in any way we can.”

It was back in early July 2016 that  Michael Carberry was diagnosed with a cancerous tumour. Carberry was forced to miss Hampshire’s County Championship match against Warwickshire after complaining of illness and was reported to undergo tests to assess his condition. Carberry has represented England in six Tests, five of which came during the 2013-14 Ashes series in Australia. He has also featured in six One-Day Internationals (ODIs) and one Twenty20 International (T20I). His last international appearance was in the ODI series against Sri Lanka at home in May 2014. Incidentally, this is not Carberry’s first battle with a potentially life-threatening disease. In November 2010, the left-handed batsman suffered attacks of breathlessness and was subsequently diagnosed with blood clots in one of his lungs.