Sydney: Jan 1, 2013
A new-look Australian batting line-up will travel to India in February and then face two back-to-back Ashes series.
With Hussey joining Ricky Ponting in the retirement list, Australia will lack the experience in their batting line-up, with only Michael Clarke and injury-prone all-rounder Shane Watson with more than 20 Tests under their belts.
Wade said it will be difficult to replace a player of Hussey’s calibre but has challenged the youngsters to step up and fill the void.
“There will be a lot more expectation on players that have played under 20 Tests but that’s the way it goes and we’ve got to accept the responsibility,” Wade said, as reported by Sydney Morning Herald.
“We’re lucky we’ve got guys that have got 20 games under their belt instead of relying on people to come in for their first or second game.
“We’ve got to come to terms with life without Mike Hussey which is a shame but it’s a reality … we expect to take the challenge with open arms.
“There will be a lot more expectation on the younger top order. Pup’s doing everything he can do, scoring truckload of runs.
“But it’s up to the Warners, Cowans Wades and Hughes who make up that top six or seven that have to pick up the slack.
“It’s easier said than done but with hard work and with some guidance from our captain I’m sure we can get that done.”
Australia will continue to strangle the Sri Lankans and hope to end the series with a clean sweep. Wade said that the his side will be just as aggressive with bat and ball in Sydney as they have been in the series so far.
Read all stories related to Michael Hussey’s retirement
Also on cricketcountry.com