Also on cricketcountry.com
Sydney: Feb 14, 2014
The South African, who was ousted just before the start of the Ashes series in England last year with two years left on his contract, said he was excited to be involved with the Perth-based team.
“Having had an interest in rugby over a long period of time, it’s very exciting to be involved with a programme like this,” he said.
“Perth is a dynamic, wonderful place to live with a growing appetite for rugby, and this opportunity will excite a lot of young players not only in Perth and Australia but around the world.”
He said his role would involve “providing a holistic programme — rugby, education and careers advice as well as social introductions — for those hungry for an opportunity and wishing to live their rugby dreams”.
As well as nurturing home-grown talent, the “Future Force” programme will also attempt identify young players from abroad, and relocate them to Perth.
“Our first priority is growing the game in Western Australia and the primary objective of the Future Force programme is to broaden our rugby base here in the state,” said Rugby WA chief, Mark Sinderberry.
The South African sued Cricket Australia for his job back or up to Aus$4 million (US$3.7 million), claiming there was a deliberate campaign against him and he had no choice but to take legal action.
The two sides reached an undisclosed settlement.
Play Fantasy Cricket & Win
Cash Daily! Click here