Also on cricketcountry.com
Sydney: Feb 4, 2014
Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson is reportedly prepared to keep memories of his 2009 South Africa tour, which marked his decline, at bay and feel confident after the dominant 2013-14 Ashes series.
However, Johnson has warned teammates that they could not afford to be content with their dominance against England in the recently concluded series, comparing it to the 2009 situation.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the fast bowler said that he has been in this situation before as in 2009 everything was going well and then it all plummeted.
He further said that this time he is not going to underestimate anything and he would keep doing what he does, as South Africa has not lost a series since 2009.
Johnson said that the experience of the 2009 series, in which he averaged 25 with the ball and 85 with the bat, made him who he is today and it had been a hard time in his career.
The report added him saying that he wanted to replicate the hostility he bowled with against England in South Africa, and he expected that the approach would be noted by Proteas captain Graeme Smith, whom he has injured twice in previous series.
Johnson said that the team cant live on what they have just been through, and they have got to keep improving as a cricket team, adding that their goal is to take them over and they have to keep moving forward.
Play Fantasy Cricket & Win
Cash Daily! Click here