By Gaurav Joshi
Jan 18, 2014
Australian pacer Mitchell Starc has said that he will certainly be available for the seventh edition of Indian Premier League (IPL). In the past the Starc had turned down the offer to play in the lucrative tournament but this time around he wanted to try his hand in the IPL.
“In the past I have turned it down but with no cricket scheduled for Australia until September, this is a perfect chance”.
Starc, the forgotten man of the Australian pace bowling attack has bowled at full throttle for the first time in a match since he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his back in September last year. The left arm pacer has played a few first grade games for Western Suburbs, in the Sydney Grade competition since the injury but had not bowled from the long run until today.
“I bowled last week but only of a few steps, today I can in of the full run”. Starc bowled two spells of four and three over’s respectively to end with figures of one for 19 off his seven overs. Asked how he felt he said, “Good, don’t feel any pain which is a good sign”.
But the left-armer still feels he is a long way from playing any Sheild cricket and has basically ruled himself out of the South African Test series next month. “No, I won’t be playing in the longer format as of now, hopefully I will be right for selection for ODI’s in South Africa,” he said. Starc went on to state he wasn’t fused at playing for any particular team and just hoped to playing some good cricket.
An opposition batsmen that faced Starc briefly in his spell on Saturday also gave positive vibe about Starc. “I faced a handful of balls from him, he is little short on pace but still a challenge to face with the new ball in his hand”.
It was predicted Starc could return in the later part of the Big Bash League but chances are he is likely to continue playing grade cricket for at least the next couple of weeks.
(Gaurav Joshi is an Indian-born Australian who played with Michael Clarke in his junior days. He coaches and reports for a Sydney radio station. Over the years he has freelanced for Australia Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and is a regular on ABC cricket show Cow Corner. He is the author of the book “Teen Thunder Down Under” – The inside story of India’s 2012 U19 World Cup Triumph)
Also on cricketcountry.com