Mohammad Ashraful currently not part of Bangladesh’s plans, says BCB chief selector

Bangladesh’s chief selector Minhajul Abedin has ruled out a return to international cricket for Mohammad Ashraful until he can prove his fitness following a five-year ban.

Speaking to reporters in Mirpur on Sunday, Abedin said that currently Ashraful – whose ban will end on August 13 – is not in the national selection panel’s plans.

READ: Ashraful hopeful of comeback to the Bangladesh side after lapse of ban on August 13

“At the moment there is no place for him in the national team. We maintain high standards [of] fitness for the national team, along with high performance and Bangladesh A team. To attain that level of fitness he needs to be given some time and only if he achieves it, we can think about him. But, as of now, we are not thinking about him anywhere,” he said.

Ashraful, 34, was in 2013 handed a five-year ban for his role in match-fixing and spot-fixe in that year’s edition of the Bangladesh Premier League. In 2016, the Bangladesh Cricket Board allowed him to feature in domestic cricket. Over the past two seasons, Ashraful scored five List A centuries at an average of 47.83, and in 13 first-class games he’s averaged 21.85 with one century.

He recently told ESPNcricinfo that he had been waiting for August 13, 2018 “for a long time” and that he was determined to play for Bangladesh again.

In a career that began in 2001, former Bangladesh captain Ashraful has played 177 ODIs, 61 Tests and 23 T20Is. He is Bangladesh’s fifth-highest run-getting Tests with 273 and fourth-highest in ODIs with 3468.