Sacked Mickey Arthur says he gave his 100 per cent to Australia
Mickey Arthur’s Test record for Australia since taking over in November 2011 was 10 wins, six losses and three draws © Getty Images
Bristol: Jun 24, 2013
Former Australia head coach Mickey Arthur, who was sacked by Cricket Australia (CA) on Monday, said that he gave his 100 per cent to the team in his 17-month career.
South African Arthur, the first foreign-born coach of the Australian team when appointed in November 2011, appeared to have paid the price for a 4-0 Test series loss in India, a poor Champions Trophy campaign and a lack of discipline within the squad.
This culminated with an incident which saw David Warner punch England’s Joe Root in a bar in Birmingham, central England, after Australia’s Champions Trophy loss to their arch-rivals earlier this month.
Warner was fined A$11,500 ($11,000) and suspended until the start of the Ashes.
Several others players were with him in the bar in the early hours of the morning, raising concerns the Australian squad’s conduct.
It followed vice-captain Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson and Usman Khawaja all being dropped during the India tour this year after failing to submit feedback requested by Arthur.
The former Australia coach, whose Test record since taking over in 2011 was 10 wins, six losses and three draws, maintained he didn’t feel let down by his players.
“The reality is when you take a job on as head coach you are responsible for the outcomes,” Arthur told reporters.
“I don’t feel let down, At the end of the day you live and die by the sword. I gave it 100 per cent. The disappointing thing is I think we were nearly there to cracking it.
“We handled the Warner incident by the book,” he added. “Nobody likes losing their job. I’ve given this job 100 per cent commitment and if it wasn’t good enough, so be it.”
Arthur said he would like to see some “real standards” all the way through from Under-19 level.