Simon Katich calls it quits from Twenty20 cricket
Perth Scorchers skipper and ex-Australia batsman Simon Katich retires from Twenty20 cricket.
Simon Katich in action during the 2013-14 KFC Big Bash League © Getty Images
Jul 12, 2014
Perth Scorchers skipper and former Australia batsman Simon Katich announced his retirement from Twenty20 cricket today. Katich, who retired from the First-class format in June 2012 but continued to play County cricket for a year after, leaves behind a glittering record having captained the Scorchers to the KFC Twenty20 Big Bash title earlier this year.
“It’s always difficult when it comes to making these sorts of decisions,” said Katich. “I’ve obviously been in a similar situation when I made the decision to retire from first-class cricket in Australia a few years ago.”Having been through that before, it helped me understand the process a bit better and the more I thought about it, I felt the time was right,” added Katich.
Katich’s retirement is effective immediately, which means he’ll play no part in the upcoming T20 Champions League tournament with the Scorchers. However the 38-year-old veteran maintained belief in the Perth-based BBL outfit ahead of that campaign. “I’ve got a huge amount of confidence in this team. My decision certainly wasn’t for any other reason other than I felt I’d had my time and now it’s the boys’ turn,” said Katich.
Perth Scorchers coach and former Test team-mate Justin Langer was all praise for Katich. “Simon’s contribution to Western Australian and Australian cricket has been immense and, whilst I’m disappointed he’ll no longer play for the Scorchers, I respect his decision to move on. In terms of leadership, there have been few stronger leaders in Western Australian cricket history,” said Langer, who played alongside Katich throughout the early 2000’s.
Katich represented Australia in 56 tests and 45 odis in a career spanning nearly a decade. He led the Scorchers to 7 wins in 10 matches in the last edition of the Big Bash League to lift the trophy.