Stuart Broad declines involvement in Kevin Pietersen parody account on Twitter
Stuart Broad met England managing director Hugh Morris to clear his stand on the allegations © Getty Images
London: Aug 15, 2012
England’s Stuart Broad has insisted he’d no role in a parody Twitter account for Kevin Pietersen as the fall out from the batsman’s axing for the third Test against South Africa continued on Tuesday.
The account – KP Genius – was set up by a friend of Broad, Richard Bailey, and had been thought to have contributed to the strained relations Pietersen felt within the England dressing room amid suggestions some of his team-mates were involved.
But all-rounder Broad, in a statement issued by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on Tuesday, just two days before the start of the third and final Test against South Africa at Lord’s, said it was nothing to do with him.
“Following last (Monday) night’s statement by Mr Richard Bailey that he was responsible for creating a parody Twitter account in Kevin Pietersen’s name, I would like to confirm that I had no involvement in this whatsoever,” Broad said.
“I met with the Managing Director, England Cricket, Hugh Morris this morning and assured him that I did not play any role in the creation of this account or provide Mr Bailey with any information regarding Kevin Pietersen or the England team.
“As has been widely reported Mr Bailey is a friend of mine, but we had no conversations regarding this issue at all and I am pleased that he has now decided to close the parody account down.”
Morris added: “Having discussed this matter with Stuart, I am fully satisfied that he acted in a professional manner at all times and did not breach any confidences regarding fellow England players.”
Last weekend, Pietersen was dramatically dropped from England’s squad, despite scoring a superb 149 in the second Test at Headingley, after failing to reveal the contents of text messages allegedly sent to South African players during that match.
Bailey said on Monday: “Yes, the parody was me.
“No professional cricketers were involved in it…I would also like to apologise to anyone I know involved with England Cricket who I may have put in an awkward or embarrassing position.”
If South Africa avoid defeat at Lord’s they will replace England as the world’s number one ranked Test side. (AFP)