Stuart Broad nose injury: Dennis Amiss says the ball shouldn’t pass through the gap between visor and grill
Stuart Broad suffered a horrific injury during the fourth Test at Manchester.
Stuart Broad broke his nose when the ball went through the gap between the grill and the visor © Getty Images
Aug 11, 2014
Dennis Amiss, one of the first men to wear a helmet in international cricket, has said that the Stuart Broad does highlights concerns surrounding the safety of the headgear. Amiss believes that the ball should not get through the grill and the visor in a helmet. During the fourth Test at Manchester, Broad was hit by a bouncer from Varun Aaron that went through the gap and broke his nose.
Speaking to Daily Post India, “I am not sure what to make of the helmet Broad was using but it looked a little different from the more traditional ones. The ball should not pass through between the peak and the grill and I believe there are new safeguards to make sure this doesn’t happen in the future.”
Ayrtek, the company that makes Broad’s helmets said in a press release, “At Ayrtek, player safety is our number one priority. Any incident of this nature happening to a player, particularly when wearing our product, is something we take extremely seriously. We will be investigating the incident by gathering as much information as possible and working closely with the ECB medical team to assess the likely cause. In 6 years of manufacturing cricket helmets, this is the first injury of this type to have happened to a player wearing an Ayrtek helmet. All of our helmets undergo rigorous safety testing in accordance to BSI standards.”
Despite the injury, Broad was included in the squad for the fifth Test at The Oval. He tweeted a picture of his face the other day, which showed the extent of his injury.