Also on cricketcountry.com
Jun 17, 2014
Bangladesh pacer Taskin Ahmed on Tuesday became the eighth bowler in the history of One-Day Internationals (ODIs) to take five wickets or more on debut, during the second ODI against India at the Shere Bangla National Stadium in Dhaka.
Taskin ran through the Indian top-order as he produced an emphatic spell of 8-0-28-5 in a rain-truncated match that saw India collapsing like heap of cards. The right-arm pacer claimed the wickets of Robin Uthappa, Ambati Rayudu, Cheteshwar Pujara, Amit Mishra and Stuart Binny to achieve the feat.
Taskin was very impressive on his debut as he consistently clocked over 140 kmph, and troubled the Indian batsmen on a consistent basis during the second ODI. Taskin’s performance put Bangladesh on the verge of series-levelling win as India won the first ODI by a margin of seven wickets through the Duckworth-Lewis method.
India were reeling at 94 for five after 24 overs. Earlier, the rain interruption in the match meant the game was reduced to 41-overs-a-side affair.
Points to note:
- Taskin Ahmed is the eight bowler in ODI history to bag a five-for on debut.
- Among the eight five-fors on ODI debut three have come from low-ranked nations — Austin Codrington (Canada), Brian Vitori (Zimbabwe), Taskin Ahmed (Bangladesh).
- Taskin Ahmed is the first Bangladesh bowler to pick a five-for on ODI debut.
- Taskin Ahmed has registered the best bowling figures by a Bangladesh bowler on ODI debut eclipsing Sohag Gazi’s four for 29 against West Indies in 2012.
- This is India’s lowest score against Bangladesh in ODIs. The previous lowest was 191 in the 2007 World Cup
Let’s take a look at the list of most impressive figures on ODI debut:
|Fidel Edwards||West Indies||6 for 22||Zimbabwe||Harare Sports Club|
|Anthony Dodemaide||Australia||5 for 21||Sri Lanka||WACA|
|Shaul Karnain||Sri Lanka||5 for 26||New Zealand||Tyronne Fernando Stadium|
|Austin Codrington||Canada||5 for 27||Bangladesh||Kingsmead|
|Allan Donald||South Africa||5 for 29||India||Eden Gardens|
|Brian Vitori||Zimbabwe||5 for 30||Bangladesh||Harare Sports Club|
|Thudellage Fernando||Sri Lanka||5 for 67||Zimbabwe||Sharjah Cricket Stadium|
|Taskin Ahmed||Bangladesh||5 for 28||India||Shere Bangla Stadium|
Play Fantasy Cricket & Win
Cash Daily! Click here