Just two more days left before the eighth edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) begins and the excitement is building up among the fans. The upcoming IPL 8 will witness few more foreign players coming into the league. Devarchit Varma lists down the top six new overseas players in IPL 2015.
The cricketing madness in name of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2015 is about to begin with the defending champions Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) taking on the Mumbai Indians (MI) in the opening match at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata. While Aaron Finch and Corey Anderson will be playing for Mumbai Indians, the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) will have Shakib Al Hasan and Ryan ten Doeschate in their side once again for the eighth edition of the IPL.
The tournament is known for bringing out the best among the top notch players around the world, and with the new additions, many teams have added more firepower in their ranks for IPL 2015. New Zealand were simply marvellous in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015, and it makes a no-brainer to say that the Black Caps’ players will be closely watched in the IPL 2015, as they will be expected to play key roles for their respective teams. Kane Williamson, left-arm pacer Trent Boult, Mitchell McClenaghan are the new entrants in the IPL from New Zealand, whereas there are others such as Australia’s Sean Abbott and South African Kyle Abbott and David Wiese. Let’s take a look:
1. Kane Williamson, Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH): The right-handed batsman is an extremely crucial addition to the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH), who already have a huge arsenal of foreign players for IPL 2015. Williamson is a pillar in the New Zealand batting line-up, someone who has tremendous control over his game. Williamson has a calm head over those shoulders, and can drop the anchor in the middle and help construct an innings. Williamson, however, may not find a place in the playing eleven immediately as he had an ordinary ICC Cricket World Cup 2015, where he scored only one half-century. But at the same time, his crucial innings against Australia at Auckland cannot be ignored, wherein he guided New Zealand to a nerve-wreaking one-wicket win. IPL 2015 Auction: Full list of players bought by Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) for IPL 8
2. Trent Boult, Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH): On current form, Trent Boult easily walks into any playing eleven, and this should ideally be the case for him in the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH). Boult was the joint highest wicket-taker with 22 scalps in just nine games at ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 — a tournament where every single batsman feared the New Zealand pacer. Boult not only showed marvellous control over the white ball and moved it both ways, but the pace at which he bowled throughout the World Cup made him one of the most dreadful bowlers in the tournament. It will be interesting to see how he performs on the dustbowls of India, wherein Boult will neither get the bounce, the extra pace as well as movement off the pitch. Sunrisers Hyderabad buy sensibly and have a formidable unit
3. Sean Abbott, Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB): The right-arm Australian pacer will attract a lot of attention when he will take field for the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in IPL 2015. Abbott is among the young Australian quicks who have soared to greater heights in the recent times. Abbott made his debut in international Twenty20 cricket last year during Australia’s tour of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) against Pakistan. Abbott can bowl with lot of discipline and pace, and he can form a dangerous pace attack for RCB along with Mitchell Starc.Allan Border Medal 2015: Sean Abbott wins Bradman Young Cricketer of the year
4. David Wiese, Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB): The 29-year-old has 15 wickets from eight T20Is for South Africa, suggesting that he has embraced the format quite well. The right-arm medium fast bowler will be seen in action for the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), and his presence generates a healthy competition between the other two foreign imports, Sean Abbott and Mitchell Starc. While Starc is a certainty in the bowling attack, Wiese and Abbott can provide him a strong support. This is certainly, a win-win situation for the Virat Kohli-led side. Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in IPL 2015: Best chance for franchise to scalp maiden title
5. Kyle Abbott, Chennai Super Kings (CSK): The South African pacer has successfully established himself in international cricket circuit. Abbott had a successful World Cup, where he shared a lot of burden of the bowling attack, which was without Vernon Philander and the poor form of Dale Steyn hurting them. Abbott took the pressure in stride and did an excellent job for South Africa. Abbott will be playing for the Chennai Super Kings (CSK), and he will be more than eager to continue his good form and earn a place in the playing XI of the IPL side. IPL 2015 Auction: Full list of players bought by Chennai Super Kings (CSK) for IPL 8
6. Mitchell McClenaghan, Mumbai Indians (MI): Talking about the current form, the left-arm pacer from New Zealand played only one match in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015, where his performance was ordinary. McClenaghan has 17 wickets in 16 T20Is and 66 in 35 One-Day Internationals (ODIs) as far as limited-overs cricket is concerned. He will play for the Mumbai Indians (MI) in IPL 2015. Mumbai Indians in IPL 2015: A statistical preview
(Devarchit Varma is a reporter with CricketCountry. He can be followed on Twitter @Devarchit)
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.