Ankit Keshri died on April 20 this year © IANS
Ankit Keshri died on April 20 this year © IANS

The family of Ankit Keshri, the budding cricketer who died due to injuries suffered from an on-field collision in a club game in Kolkata, will receive Rs. 25 lakhs from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) as part of the board’s group insurance policy. The Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) will receive the sum as a cheque from BCCI. Keshri, a 20-year old player having had played for Bengal Under-19s and Under-23s, died in April this year, after a severe collision with a teammate of his club, as he committed himself to take a catch, in a CAB league. READ:Ankit Keshri, Bengal Under-23 cricketer dies after sustaining on-field injury

“The insurance company has delivered the cheque to the BCCI office. It will now be mailed to the CAB, who will hand it over to the family of the deceased cricketer,” Ratnakar Shetty, BCCI’s general manager of game development, told ESPNCricinfo.

“For an accidental death, like the unfortunate incident with Ankit, the maximum claim amount is Rs 25 lakh. For injuries during Ranji Trophy, a player can claim up to Rs 50,000 per week for a maximum of 52 weeks.” Raj Kumar Keshri, Ankit’s father, expressed gratitude at the help offered by the board, in recognition of the promise of the upcoming cricketer. “No one including CAB has told us so far. We are grateful to the BCCI,” he said.

BCCI provides financial cover for accidental deaths for 35 cricketers, the list of which is submitted by the regional boards, under the categories of Under-16, Under-19, Under-23, and Ranji Trophy. The CAB has said they were expecting the cheque in the next few days. READ: Ankit Keshri’s death probe begun by medical council