Ruwan Kalpage was on a 2 year contract with Bangladesh © Getty Images
Ruwan Kalpage was on a 2 year contract with Bangladesh © Getty Images

Bangladesh Cricket Board has terminated the contract of assistant coach Ruwan Kalpage after he failed to turn up for work by August 16 The BCB media committee chairman Jalal Yunus revealed that there was no response from Kalpage after the board had asked him to report to duty. Earlier this month, Bangladesh’s coaching staff, headed by Chandika Hathurusingha, along with the fielding coach Richard Halsall and strength and conditioning coach Mario Villavarayan were assigned a security officer each after returning to work. Kalpage had decided to leave the country after the Dhaka attacks that took place at Holey Artisan Bakery in Gulshan Thana on July 1 and monitor the situation from Sri Lanka. Full Cricket Scorecard: south Africa vs New Zealand, 1st Test at Durban

“We had sent him a letter asking him to return to work by August 16, but he didn’t respond to us,” Yunus told ESPNcricinfo. On August 17, BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury had said that the board would “take action” against Kalpage for not turning up by the deadline. Kalpage and the BCB had been in constant touch in the previous few weeks, after he voiced concerns over his safety in Dhaka. : SA vs NZ: Black Caps look to continue playing attacking brand of cricket
The BCB had sent Kalpage a notice last week to return to work as they felt his “claim isn’t the right assessment of the situation”. Kalpage had joined the Bangladesh set-up as assistant coach on a two-year contract in August 2014, following the appointments of Hathurusingha and Villavarayan. Like the rest of Bangladesh’s foreign coaching staff, he was given an extension till the 2019 World Cup.
He had earlier worked in Bangladesh as the National Cricket Academy’s head coach from 2008 to 2010. Kalpage was on a two-year contract and had been given an extension to work with the Bangladesh unit until the 2019 50-over World Cup.