Anurag Thakur © Getty Images
Anurag Thakur © Getty Images

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) could be heading towards legal battles with Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Rajasthan Royals (RR) soon as BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur has mailed invoices to both the franchises and both the franchise are seeking legal help. The CSK management has to pay 30 percent of their annual fee which is 11 crores, while RR has to pay 9 crores from their annual fee. The managements have time until January 2 to pay the fee and the rest 70 percent to be paid by April. ALSO READ: BCCI to have only 1 cricket association per state: Reports

CSK have to pay an annual fee of 32.5 crores which means until two years suspension they would pay 65 crores and RR annual fee is 27 crores. The managements of CSK and RR were under the impression that they would not have to pay nor receive any money from BCCI until their suspension ends. As everyone is aware, both the franchise was suspended from Indian Premiere League (IPL) for two years for spot-fixing. As reported on Mumbai Mirror, a representative from one of the franchise said, “That was our understanding but we are really shocked that we have been asked to pay the fee. If we pay then we must receive the annual grant from the central revenue as well.” ALSO READ: IPL will be eight-team event for next two years, BCCI assures league franchisees

Very soon both the franchise will head to the board to sort the matter. They also mentioned that they would head to the court if they are forced to shell out the money. But on the other a BCCI official said, “If they don’t pay, there is no punishment. It would be like a two-year sabbatical for them.” BCCI would also be considering taking legal help on this matter.