Colin de Grandhomme    Getty Images
Colin de Grandhomme Getty Images

New Zealand yet again outplayed Pakistan winning the 4th ODI by 5 wickets at Seddon Park. The game that was in favour of Pakistan soon saw the tables turn around. New Zealand were tattering at 99 for 4 with Shadab Khan’s three-wicket haul. However, Colin de Grandhomme‘s savage fifty helped New Zealand maintain an upper hand over Pakistan. De Grandhomme and Henry Nicholls were unbeaten on 74 and 52. New Zealand chased the target of 263 in 45.5 overs. De Grandhomme’s timing with the willow blew away Pakistan on a pitch that was providing turn.

After Kane Williamson was dismissed for 32, New Zealand’s middle-order fizzled. Ross Taylor was unable to make his 200th ODI a momentous one as he was gone for 6. Tom Latham fell cheaply as well. New Zealand required 109 to win then. However, de Grandhomme made the chase feel like a piece of cake. He thumped Haris Sohail for two sixes in the 37th over followed by sweeping Shadab another six in the next over. The de Grandhomme show was not over as he smashed Rumman Raees for club of three sixes in the 45th overs. By then, the match was very much in the hands of New Zealand.

Nicholls also supported the all-rounder with some occasional boundaries. The final over belonged to Nicholls who smashed a boundary to bring his fifty and a single to finish off the game. Earlier, Colin Munro and Martin Guptill looked in good stead putting up 80-run stand. Munro took the call of the shots while Guptill took his time to pick the pace. However, Shadab got the better of the openers and removed them in succession.

From 11 for 2, Pakistan bounced back courtesy Mohammad Hafeez s blistering knock of 80-ball 81. There were also some handful knocks from Fakhar Zaman (54), Haris Sohail (50) and Sarfraz Ahmed (51). In the last 10 overs, Pakistan added 89 runs with the final over of their innings producing 22 runs. There was also a freak incident with Shoaib Malik being hit on the head and developing slow concussion. Malik entered to the crease without helmet. A throw from Munro hit his head and he fell on the ground right away, requiring some attention before he began his innings. Malik was ultimately dismissed for 6.

He did not take field in the second innings. However, the doctors assured Malik was recovering. As for the Pakistan innings, Tim Southee led the pace attack for New Zealand with his figures of 3 for 44 while Williamson had his day with the ball scalping two wickets.

New Zealand are leading the series 4-0. The final ODI will be played on January 19 at Basin Reserve in Wellington.

Brief scores:

Pakistan 262 for 8 in 50 overs (Fakhar Zaman 54, Mohammad Hafeez 81; Tim Southee 3 for 44, Kane Williamson 2 for 32) lose to New Zealand 263 for 5 (Colin Munro 56, Colin de Grandhomme 72*; Shadab Khan 3 for 42) for 5 wickets.

Man of the Match: Colin de Grandhomme