Dwayne Bravo last played a Test match in December 2010 © AFP
Dwayne Bravo last played a Test match in December 2010 © AFP

West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has announced his retirement from Test cricket. The announcement came weeks after being sacked from the One-Day squad for ICC World Cup 2015. The 31-year-old represented West indies in 40 Tests, scored 2200 runs at an average of 31 with three centuries — with a best of 113 against Australia in 2005. He also bagged 86 wickets.  Though his last Test was in December 2010, when West Indies toured Sri Lanka.

In a statement on Friday, Bravo said he had already informed the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) about his decision. He also confirmed his willingness to continue playing One-Day Internationals and Twenty20s, reports stabroeknews.com.

“Over the years, with the greatest enthusiasm, I have done my best with the deep awareness that I am ultimately representing the people of the game,” Bravo said.

“I recognise that this is a difficult time for all of us. Our people of the region have seen and enjoyed great cricketing days but we will not return to glory until we agree to go forward with our love for the game and the respect of the administrators, players and the public.”

“I have experienced the exhilarating joy of victory and the devastating pain of defeat. The joyous memories will remind me of what we are capable of achieving. I want to be part of that mission,” Bravo said in the statement.

“I thank the cricketing fraternity for their support and look forward to serving you with determination and the pride of being a West Indian”,  the Trinidadian further added.