James Sutherland admits sacking Mickey Arthur was his toughest decision as CA chief

James Sutherland axed Mickey Arthur as coach of Australia just 16 days prior to the first Ashes Test against England at Trent Bridge © Getty Images

Sydney: Jul 6, 2013

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said on Saturday that sacking Mickey Arthur was the toughest decision in his 12-year tenure as in-charge of the board. He went on to say that he was pleased by how quickly the  environment around the national team has changed for the good following the decision.

Sutherland took the step of ending Arthur’s contract, just 16 days prior to the first Ashes Test at Trent Bridge against England. In an interview with Fairfax Media on the eve of the Ashes, Sutherland said parting ways with the South African in Bristol last month, and appointing Darren Lehmann as his successor, was the most difficult decision he had made since assuming the top job at CA in 2001.

”It’s probably the most monumental, just in the circumstances given how close to the Ashes series it was, and how big the Ashes is, yeah probably,” Sutherland said on Friday, as reported by the Sydney Morning Herald.

”No one will ever know what it might have been like [if the decision was not made] but I think all credit to everyone over there, they’ve really responded to what really was a monumental decision to make a change so close to the eve of the Ashes series.”

“From all reports everyone has responded really well and it’s pleasing to see everyone has had a good run [in the warm-up games]. I’m pleased to see what we’ve seen so far. But the real test starts next week.”