A bat was used for the murder © Getty Images (Representational Photo)
A bat was used for the murder © Getty Images (Representational Photo)

A partially disabled 13-year old boy succumbed to his injuries when his mother supposedly beat him with a cricket bat. However, the mother said that she did so to safeguard herself from the assault when her son tried to get intimate with her. The child was living with his mother in Pune. The police have arrested his mother and have registered a case of murder against her at the Vishrantwadi police station. The child’s mother was employed as an admin head in a multinational company. The incident was exposed early morning on the 6th of August. The boy’s mother had carried the injured child with the help of the owner of the house (where she is staying on rent) Sumit More to Pune’s Sassoon General Hospital at midnight some hours before the case came into limelight.

His mother had said to the hospital staff that he has slipped in the bathroom. Tarun, the child’s father has a different opinion. In speaking with mid-day he said “When I saw my son’s dead body, I could not believe my eyes. The police had filed a case of accidental death but I was waiting for the results of the post-mortem. I knew that she had beaten him because there were a lot of injury marks on his body. I work in a pathology lab and was able to identify the nature of injuries on my son’s body.” Investigation done by the doctors and police also affirm the same reasons for the teenager’s death.

The teenager comes from a broken home where his mother had been living separately from her husband, Tarun since the past three years. It was a love marriage, they had married in 2000. Later, due to some misunderstandings she filed a fake case of domestic violence against her husband and sister-in-law. Their divorce case is still hanging in court. Around three years back she applied for the guardianship of their son; and from then on she did not let her son to ever meet her father. Tarun says that his son wished to meet him and this was the sole cause for his death. Tarun had been living in Nagpur for some time but had to rush to Pune urgently after learning about his son’s death from his sister, Rakhi.

A doctor at the Sassoon General Hospital said, “Chaitanya had multiple injuries on his butt and back and his left hand is entirely purple. His kidneys and lungs are damaged as well. The post mortem on his teeth revealed that he was hit with a blunt object. He’d last eaten on Tuesday afternoon and the time of his death was around 10 pm on Wednesday, an hour before he was brought to the hospital.”

The police in its inquiry found that the deceased was an alumni of Pune International School. According to the neighbours when the boy was in sixth standard, his mother did not allow him to go to school from then on and he was mostly kept under lock and key at home. She also did not like her son to play with other children and to do some enjoyment by watching TV or play games on the computer. The statement was echoed by the mother’s sister who revealed to the police that the teenager was constantly insisting to meet Tarun.

Assistant Commissioner of police (Khadki division of Pune), Swapna Gore said, “When we interacted with her in the evening she confessed that she had thrashed her son with a bat after he tried to get physically intimate with her on Monday. She had given him painkillers but when she came home from work on Wednesday she noticed that Chaitanya was unconscious and she rushed him to the hospital. We had already detained Rakhi at this point because when we saw the dead body, it had multiple injuries and Chaitanya’s private parts were bleeding.”

Inspector-in-charge of Vishratwadi police station, Popat Supekar said, “Rakhi’s husband did not like her working and was suspicious of her. She moved to Pune a year and half ago, after she got a job here. She was staying in a rental flat in a posh society. We are investigating the case.” He further added, “Rakhi’s mother used to live with them earlier, but was compelled to return to Nagpur by Rakhi as she used to save her grandson from getting beaten by his mother.”