PCB refuses to react on Mohammad Asif's appeal against ban

Pakistan Cricket Board admitted that they have maintained no contact with Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt AFP

Lahore: Aug 30, 2012

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Thursday declined to react on the decision by banned Pakistani pacer Mohammed Asif to pursue his appeal in the International Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) in Switzerland.

“He is fighting his own case and we have nothing to do with it,” a PCB official said when asked about Asif’s confirmation about pursuing his case and asking for a date for the appeal hearing.

Asif and teammates Salman Butt and Mohammad Aamer were all banned by the anti-corruption tribunal of the International Cricket Council in early 2011 for their role in the spot fixing scandal that broke out on Pakistan’s tour to England in 2010.

“We have had no contact with Asif or Salman and as far as Aamer is concerned he has been asked to attend counselling sessions with a sports psychologist appointed by the board. He has so far done three to four sessions with the psychologist,” the official said.

Asif, who was found guilty of deliberately bowling a no-ball in return for money in the fourth test against England at Lord’s said he had through his lawyer asked the CAS for a date for the appeal hearing.

“I don’t know when the date will come but we have decided we will pursue this appeal which we had filed last year but which was not pursued due to the criminal proceedings against me,” Asif said.

The lanky pacer said he took the decision to pursue his appeal after a lot of thought and consultation.

“Obviously, I want to prove my innocence and I feel I didn’t get a fair trial,” he added.

Asif, 29, said he was hopeful of reviving his cricket career and clearing his name.

“I just want justice and a fair hearing.”

His lawyer of Indian origin Ravi Gill said that they were expecting a date for the hearing soon.

“We have prepared our case and we are hopeful of success.” (PTI)