Pradeep Sangwan doping case: 3-member Tribunal constituted to probe pacer's appeal

Earlier in July this year, Pradeep Sangwan failed a random dope test during Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013 © Getty Images

Kolkata: Aug 16, 2013
 
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is said to have constituted a three-member tribunal, which comprises only foreigners, to hear Kolkata Knight Riders’ pacer Pradeep Sangwan’s appeal.
 
Earlier in July this year, Sangwan failed a random dope test during Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013.
 
“Yes, Pradeep Sangwan has tested positive for banned substances during this edition of Indian Premier League. The BCCI has already issued a letter to the Delhi and Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) in this regard. There have been traces of banned substances in his ‘A’ sample,” a top BCCI official told PTI preferring anonymity.
 
The news was kept undercover to save the image of the IPL from further damage after it was rocked by the spot-fixing controversy.
 
“India’s new to handling doping issues, certainly in cricket, which is why there are no experts really… The BCCI did have plenty of discussion, an internal debate, before going for a tribunal made up of foreigners,” a source was quoted as saying by The Telegraph.
 
Although there was no confirmation from BCCI’s side, another source in Chennai confirmed.
 
BCCI is reported to have approached ‘top-bracket professional’ and initially there was a decision to constitute an all-desi (why not say all-Indian) tribunal.
 
According to reports, ‘preliminary hearing’ will take place ‘within a week or so’. The hearing is supposed to happen via a tele-conference.