Shah Rukh Khan is one of the co-owners of the Kolkata Knight Riders © IANS
Shah Rukh Khan is one of the co-owners of the Kolkata Knight Riders © IANS

Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) owner Shah Rukh Khan‘s ban from entering the Wankhede Stadium has been lifted as the Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) has decided to lift the ban imposed on him. Shah Rukh was banned for a period of five years after an altercation with a security guard at the Wankhede Stadium in 2015 after a match between KKR and Mumbai Indians (MI). Shah Rukh had not entered the stadium in these three years, strictly obliging to his ban and as a result of his good conduct he might be granted access to the stadium from Indian Premier League (IPL) 2016. READ: IPL 2015: Johan Botha, Brad Hogg make me feel younger, says Shah Rukh Khan

IPL Chairman, Rajeev Shukla will be supporting this move and the BCCI too will not have any problem with allowing one of the most famous faces in the country in the stadium. The MCA had temporarily suggested to lift the ban on Shah Rukh last year in a failed attempt. However he is most likely to be seen cheering for his team in the upcoming season. READ: Mumbai police asked to file FIR against Shah Rukh Khan following Wankhede brawl

“No, he will not be allowed as the ban continues,” said an official of the Mumbai Cricket Association, which banned him for five years from entering their premises, including the Wankhede Stadium, after the actor was involved in an ugly skirmish with security staff and officials of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) following KKR’s victory over MI on May 16, 2012 at the stadium. READ: MCA officials to decide on Shah Rukh Khan’s ban

On May 16 this year, however, Shah Rukh will be able to witness defending champions KKR, of which he is the co-owner, taking on Rajasthan Royals at the Brabourne Stadium here which is owned by another BCCI affiliate – Cricket Club of India – and is just a stone’s throw away from the Wankhede Stadium.

(Inputs from PTI)