Sourav Ganguly is getting Eden Gardens ready for the ICC inspection on January 15 © Yogen Shah
Sourav Ganguly is getting Eden Gardens ready for the ICC inspection on January 15 © Yogen Shah

Kolkata: Cricket Association of Bengal president Sourav Ganguly on Friday clarified that Eden Gardens would have never hosted Ghazal maestro Ghulam Ali’s concert as it would have meant losing matches of the upcoming ICC World T20 2016 due to damage it could have caused to the playing arena. Ghulam Ali’s concert will now be held at the Mohun Bagan ground but Ganguly did clarify his stand after there were some allegations from the anti-Ganguly faction in CAB that he had said “No to concert” without placing it infront of CAB’s working committee. “It was amazing to read some of the media reports today so I wanted to clarify few things. I was first told about this concert after the CAB working committee meeting on Wednesday. READ: Sourav Ganguly against Eden Gardens hosting Ghulam Ali concert ahead of ICC inspection

Yesterday I told Firhad Hakim that it’s not possible to host the concert at Eden Gardens since there will be an ICC inspection just after that (on Friday) and we can’t risk losing any match,” the former India captain said. Ganguly said he had informed the same to the secretary of CM Mamata Banerjee yesterday afternoon, hours before receiving the letter requesting permission for the concert from the state’s Minorities and Madrasah education department.

“But I have already said there is no way we can host this concert. I have also told the same to Madam [Banerjee] today. She is completely aware of the situation and is fine with it. We can’t risk losing any match of the World T20. There was no reason to go to the working committee with a matter that I had already said no to,” said Ganguly. READ: Sourav Ganguly elected in executive council of National Cricket Club

“But I’m surprised with some of the stories that came out today. I am being categorical. There will never be such a concert at Eden Gardens,” he said.