Chris Morris is a part of South Africa's limited-overs squad © Getty Images
Chris Morris is a part of South Africa’s limited-overs squad © Getty Images

South Africa all-rounder Chris Morris, who had an impressive season in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2015 with the Rajasthan Royals (RR), has revealed that he battled mental issues for a majority of the year 2014. Morris has been named in South Africa’s limited-overs’ squads for the tour of India, wherein they will be playing three Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) as well as five One-Day Internationals (ODIs) before the four-match Test series. The South Africans will be in India for as many as 72 days and it will surely be a challenge for them to maintain the intensity, and keeping this in mind, what Morris has revealed is certainly a little worrying. ALSO READ: India-South Africa 2015 series to be launched in a grand manner on September 21 in Bengaluru

Morris was quoted as saying by The Citizen, “It has been a tough month and a half recently. A lot of hard work put in behind the scenes. It has been a really tough journey. I’ve come back from a bad tour of Bangladesh that I don’t think I ever should have gone on. But I was never going to turn down an opportunity to play for my country. So it was a lot of mental stuff that went on behind the scenes.” ALSO READ: Cheteshwar Pujara ‘well aware’ of what Virat Kohli wants in Test side

The 28-year-old said he had to find reasons for start playing cricket again, as he took a short break to figure out things. “I had to find my reasoning for playing cricket again, I took a couple of days off, went to the bush, went hunting and found my passion again. It sounds horrible to say that as a young cricketer, but I had a lot of things going on in my head that I needed sorted out and luckily we got them sorted. The injuries [now] are feeling good. I am 90 percent there and the other 10 percent is mental for me,” Morris said.

Morris clarified that he never wanted to quit playing cricket, instead, he wanted to figure out the reason why he wanted to continue doing so. He said, “I don’t think I will ever want to give up cricket. When I’m 50 I still want to be playing the game. I don’t think I ever wanted to throw in the towel, I was just a little bit confused in my head as to why am I playing this game. What do I want to achieve out of the game and I think I almost lost sight of that a little bit, because you are in a very dark space when you are injured. I never lost that desire to play cricket, it was just my reasoning.”

“It was going back to the drawing board. When I was a youngster it was very easy to say why I wanted to play cricket and that was because I wanted to play for my country. And having coming back from that tour doing so badly, I thought maybe you are to good enough to play for your country. I had a couple of dark days but there is always motivation when you put that jersey on,” Morris continued.  ALSO READ: South Africa squad for India T20Is: Proteas start World T20 preparation on aggressive note

The all-rounder will have to fight for his place in the South African team, but he has strengthened his case by focusing on batting as well. “The pecking order I wouldn’t know. I know there are a lot of gun bowlers pushing for that spot they say is missing in SA cricket,” said Morris. He concluded, “I am trying to be an all-rounder. I lost sight of my goals with batting recently. This is the hardest I have ever worked on my batting. I am hitting a lot of balls, I am doing a lot more drills which I absolutely hate, but we’ve got to do them. If my bowling is not up to standard on the day, hopefully my batting will lift me, and if my batting is not up to standard, hopefully my fielding will. If I am not a good fielder, I will carry the drinks as well.”