×

England head coach Chris Silverwood Second Casualty After Ashes Debacle, Interim Coach To Be Appointed Soon

Head coach Chris Silverwood became the second big casualty of England's Ashes debacle with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announcing his departure and saying that an interim coach will be appointed shortly.

Related articles

London: Head coach Chris Silverwood became the second big casualty of England’s Ashes debacle with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announcing his departure and saying that an interim coach will be appointed shortly.

The tourists led by Joe Root had lost the five-Test series 0-4 by huge margins, with tail-enders Stuart Broad and Jimmy Anderson managing to miraculously save the fourth Test at Sydney to prevent a clean sweep by the hosts.

The ECB also said late on Thursday that “interim arrangements” for the upcoming three-Test away series against the West Indies will be announced shortly.

Silverwood was appointed head coach in October 2019 having previously served as the bowling coach.

An ECB statement said on Thursday that, “Chris Silverwood has left his role as England Men’s Head Coach. Interim arrangements for the forthcoming tour of the West Indies will be announced in due course.”

ECB chief executive officer Tom Harrison termed Silverwood as a man of great integrity, adding that cricketers and support staff enjoyed working with him. “During his time in the role Chris has given absolutely everything to make a success of it. He is a man of great integrity, who players and staff alike have enjoyed working with,” said Harrison.

“Under Chris, England men’s white-ball teams have been ranked first and second in the world while he also led the Test team to a number of series wins including away in South Africa and Sri Lanka. He has led the England men’s team with great resilience and empathy through an incredibly challenging period for English cricket, and he deserves our sincere thanks and gratitude.”

Harrison said that former skipper Andrew Strauss, who has stepped into the role of managing director of men’s cricket after Ashley Giles’s departure, will take a call on the interim England coach.

“In the coming days Andrew Strauss will appoint a caretaker coach for the tour of the West Indies and will then consider the appropriate coaching structures to help England move forwards,” said Harrison.

Silverwood said, “It’s been an absolute honour to be England Head Coach, and I’m extremely proud to have worked alongside our players and staff. I want to thank them all for the hard work and commitment they have given during my time in the role and I wish them all the very best moving forward.

“The last two years have been very demanding but I have really enjoyed my time with the team and working with Rooty (Joe Root) and Morgs (Eoin Morgan), and I am very proud of this group considering the challenges. I leave with fond memories and I am now looking forward to spending some quality time at home with my family and embracing the next chapter.”

Early on Thursday, England men’s team’s disastrous Ashes campaign has claimed its first victim with ECB announcing the departure of Giles as managing director of men’s cricket. Giles left after three years in the role during which the England men’s team became 50-over world champions and are currently ranked the world’s best T20I side, second in ODIs, and fourth in Tests.

Giles was Silverwood’s main backer in the setup, having given the coach the all-powerful role in the team and selection setup.

trending this week