The series had earlier hit a roadblock after making its way through the offices of the BCCI and PCB © Getty Images (File Photo)
The series had earlier hit a roadblock after making its way through the offices of the BCCI and PCB © Getty Images (File Photo)

After weeks of speculation, it was confirmed on Wednesday that the Indian and Pakistani cricket teams will not be engaged in a short limited-overs series, which was expected to be held from December 24, 2015 to January 5, 2016. The teams were set to play three One-Day Internationals (ODIs) and a couple of Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) in the course of the series. The venues for the matches were to be confirmed shortly in a few days as well. The last time the two teams played a series was back in December 2012, where they played five ODIs and two T20Is, where India lost the ODI series and drew the T20I series. The news comes as a big loss to both the teams as the fans were eagerly waiting for the much anticipated toie to get underway after almost three years.

PCB chief Shahryar Khan was quoted saying by Dawn, “We were hoping for some positive development finally but it is very disappointing that cricket was not discussed in the meeting between the Indian Foreign Minister and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. The prospects of organising a series now seem very bleak and we stand to lose at least $50 million under the current scenario. We have been informally told that Swaraj will talk on cricket and decide the fate of the series.” ALSO READ:Sports minister supports BCCI’s decision to play series against Pakistan in Sri Lanka

According to reports in the Indian media earlier, the much-anticipated bilateral cricket series between India and Pakistan had not got the approval of the Indian government. The series had hit a roadblock after making its way through the offices of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), and it was also okayed by the Pakistani government. But media reports on Friday morning informed that the series has not got the necessary approval from the Indian government. The Indian and Pakistani cricket teams were expected to play a three-match One-Day International (ODI) and two-match Twenty20 International (T20I) series in Sri Lanka, a neutral venue. The BCCI had said that it will not allow its team to play in the UAE, where Pakistan was slated to host India after they had signed a MoU last year. ALSO READ: PCB still awaiting communication from BCCI on proposed Indo-Pak series

Pakistan was supposed to be the host for a series this time around, as India had hosted their arch rivals in 2012-13 for limited-overs clash. BCCI president Shashank Manohar had categorically said that he would never allow the Indian cricket team to play in the UAE, because of the suspicious activities which may occur in the country.

 

 

“The series will be played probably in Sri Lanka in such a manner that both the teams leave for their tours to New Zealand and Australia straight from Colombo,” a source from PCB said to PTI on Tuesday. “The PCB also has to contend with the fact that it is rainy season in Colombo in December and they will have to select venues in consultation with the Sri Lanka Cricket carefully so that bad weather does not affect these matches,” the source added.