image_20130609191806

India is set to tour Zimbabwe in July © AFP

Mumbai: Jun 9, 2013

The much-talked about India’s tour of Zimbabwe is set to take place after it was put on hold to give Mahendra Singh Dhoni and his boys reprieve from a hectic international calender.

According to a report in Mumbai Mirror, reliable sources in the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) told the details of the tour have been finalised and Jagmohan Dalmiya, the interim BCCI president, has given the go-ahead. The decision was taken in Kolkata a couple of days back.

“The tour is on and we’ve finalised the modalities. The tour immediately follows the one-day tri-series in the West Indies,” said a BCCI official.

India will play a series of five One-Day Internationals (ODI), two matches more than it was previously decided.

On being asked whether there were plans to send a second-string side for the tour, the official said, “There is no such plan to send a second string team. We’ll see who all will be available but the team sure will consist mostly of regular players.”

The Zimbabwe Cricket Association (ZCA) had earlier expressed disappointment over BCCI’s decision of possibly cancelling the tour citing player fatigue as the reason.

“If the tour is indeed on, it is a very good property for our channel, particularly as Zimbabwe is an important market for us,” said a spokesman of SuperSport, the television company which holds the rights of Zimbabwe cricket.

Indian broadcasters Ten Sports are also delighted by BCCI’s decision.

An India series is good for us and it is a welcome decision,” said an official of Ten Sports.