Simon Katich
Simon Katich (Getty Images)

Former Australia batsman Simon Katich will not be putting his hat in the ring for a potential role in troubled Cricket Australia (CA) which is witnessing an exodus of high-profile officials after Longstaff review commissioned in the wake of ball-tampering scandal.

CA chairman David Peever and director Mark Taylor have been the latest to quit their positions for various reasons. Taylor, a former Australia captain, had expressed his wish to see a former cricketer to take his position in the board and had made several suggestions including that of Katich.

However, Katich has cited a similar reason as that of Taylor – conflict of interest – to reject any notion that he will be applying for a role.

“I’ve got too much on my plate,” Katich told The Australian newspaper. “Mark Taylor spoke about his conflict with media commitments and the board role and I have signed to work with Channel 7 and SEN (an Australian radio station)) during the summer so I would be equally compromised. I’m contracted and I am going to honour that contract … I would love to help but I am happy doing what I am doing.”

On Wednesday CA officially confirmed that high performance director Pat Howard has also stepped down and will be leaving the board next week. Howard had earlier said he won’t be renewing his contract with the cricket board which runs till the Ashes series next year.

Katich expects more heads will roll in the coming days. “There are more answerable at the moment than those who have paid the price,” he said. Our high performance system needs to be looked at, obviously Pat Howard is responsible for that and Greg Chappell is also responsible. I don’t think this has ended yet,” he said.