Kusal Perera was handed a four-year ban by ICC for failing doping test © AFP
Kusal Perera was handed a four-year ban by ICC for failing doping test © AFP

Colombo: A practice net bowler is being suspected in the ongoing probe on a bookie approach made on Sri Lanka’s Kusal Perera and Rangana Herath, Sports Minister Dayasiri Jayasekera said on Friday. “We will make a complain at the FCID [Financial Crime Investigation Division] against him,” Jayasekera told reporters, adding that the bookies are believed to have approached the two players through the ‘net bowler’. Sri Lanka have started a probe following a complaint lodged by both Perera and Herath that they were approached by bookies to underperform during the Sri Lanka-West Indies Test match played in Galle mid October. READ: Kusal Perera handed four-year ban for doping

Sri Lanka crushed the Caribbeans in that match. Perera was subsequently found to have used a banned steroid following a random test. In the second ‘B’ sample test the use of the substance was confirmed. Now he awaits the ICC ruling on him, which Sri Lanka said would appeal. Jayasekera, the sports minister, has raised doubts if Perera’s drug test result was a conspiracy following his reporting of the bookie approach. READ: Sri Lanka sports minister defends Kusal Perera after cricketer fails drugs test

Perera had earlier gotten himself into trouble by failing a dope test and is facing the prospect of a four-year ban after his B sample tested positive for a banned substance. “The ICC has informed that he faces a four-year ban,” Sports Minister Dayasiri Jayasekera said. “We are hoping to appeal,” he added. Perera’s urine sample was tested in Qatar after the ICC had originally found it contained banned substance. Herath on the other hand, is in the twilight of his career and has said that he will take a call after the ICC World T20 2016. READ: Rangana Herath: Will take a call on international career after ICC World T20 2016