Odisha Premier League's second edtion not to be organised this year

OCA is trying to find out alternative means to help young players get financial benefits, OCA secretary said AFP

Cuttack: May 2, 2012

The Odisha Cricket Association (OCA) today announced that the second edition of the Odisha Premier League (OPL) Twenty20 cricket tournament will not be played this year.

“We have suspended the OPL-II this year for poor response from the franchisee owners and if situation improves, the tournament could be revived in future,” said OCA secretary Asirbad Behera.

Citing “unnecessary controversies” relating to financial transactions of the franchisees, Behera said some owners backed out of the tournament while many others failed to deposit their bid amount on time.

In a release issued here this evening, without naming vigilance raids, the OCA said poor response from franchisee owners was due to the harassment they faced last year from various sources.

Despite advancing the last date for depositing the bid amount to April 30, not a single owner purchased the auction papers and showed interest in the tournament.

Behera said, in order to encourage young cricketers, OCA is trying to find out alternative means to help young players get financial benefits.

While ten teams had participated in the OPL-I in 2011, this year at least 12 teams were shortlisted for OPL-II which was scheduled to be held in April.

OPL-II was scheduled to be organised here between April 1 and April 22, but due to IPL matches featuring Deccan Chargers were to be accommodated here at Barabati stadium on April 22 and May 1, the OPL-II dates were rescheduled. (PTI)