The accused had attacked the Sri Lankan team which was touring the country in 2009 © AFP  (File Photo)
The accused had attacked the Sri Lankan team which was touring the country in 2009 © AFP (File Photo)

Islamabad: A Pakistani anti-terrorism court on Wednesday indicted six men accused of carrying out a deadly attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in March 2009. During the proceedings at Kot Lakhpat Jail, the accused pleaded not guilty. The judge summoned prosecution witnesses on June 30 while adjourning the hearing. Three of the accused, Zubair, Abdul Wahab and Adnan, were imprisoned in the jail whereas Obaidullah, Javed and Ibrahim were out on bail. The court had already declared Mohsin Rasheed and Abdul Rahman as absconders. The accused had attacked the Sri Lankan team which was touring the country in 2009.However Zimbabwe were the first country to tour Pakistan after the attacks in 2015. READ: Sri Lanka could tour Pakistan for cricket series: Maithripala Sirisena

Pakistan and Zimbabwe played three T20 Internationals (T20I) and three One-Day Internationals (ODI), which were won by Pakistan. There have been efforts by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to resume cricket in the country, but have not been able to successfully do so. Pakistan as a result have been playing all their home matches in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). READ: Misbah-ul-Haq wants international teams to tour Pakistan

Pakistan Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq had also requested international teams to tour Pakistan. Misbah said that the people in Pakistan still love the game, adding that the passion was still there and that was evident from the jam-packed stadium, the Express Tribune reported. He insisted that it gave a clear-cut message throughout the world that they cannot just separate the Pakistani nation from cricket.

He also said that every country, especially the cricket-playing nations, should come to Pakistan and help Pakistan out.

(With inputs from ANI)