West Indies cricketers looked demoralized during the fourth ODI at Dharamsala © IANS
West Indies cricketers looked demoralized during the fourth ODI at Dharamsala © IANS

New Delhi: Oct 17, 2014

The future of the West Indies tour of India was mired in confusion Friday after Caribbean cricket chiefs insisted it had not been called off as a result of a pay dispute with their players.

Earlier, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said it had been informed by West Indies team manager Richie Richardson that the squad would not be taking part in the rest of the tour. The BCCI added the tourists would complete Friday’s fourth one-day international against India at Dharamsala, but not play any more games — a fifth one-dayer, a Twenty20 match and three Tests were remaining on the itinerary.

But the West Indies Cricket Board dramatically contradicted that statement with one of their own saying no decision had yet been taken to call off the tour. However, the WICB added a further statement would be made at the end of Friday’s match.

“The West Indies Cricket Board advises, that, contrary to media reports, it has taken no decision to discontinue the ongoing tour to India,” the statement said.

“The WICB will make a further statement following the conclusion of the Fourth One Day International which is in progress.”

Previously, the BCCI said it had been informed by West Indies team manager Richie Richardson that the squad would not be taking part in the rest of the tour.

“The BCCI is shocked and extremely disappointed at the decision taken by the WICB (West Indies Cricket Board),” BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said in a statement.

“The WICB’s inability to resolve internal issues with its players and allowing the same to affect an ongoing bilateral series does not reflect well on any of those involved.

“The withdrawal gives little thought to the future of the game, the players and the long standing relations between the BCCI and WICB.”

West Indies one-day captain Dwayne Bravo had said before the start of the tour on October 8 that the players had not accepted a payment agreement signed on their behalf by the West Indies Players Association with the WICB. However, the players took the field for the first two one-dayers in Kochi and New Delhi, while the third match in Visakhapatnam was cancelled due to a severe cyclonic storm that hit India’s east coast recently.

The Indian board said it would take up the tour cancellation by the West Indies with the International Cricket Council.

Complete coverage on the cancellation of West Indies tour of India 2014