BBL: Perth Scorchers keen to slot Cameron Bancroft back on December 30
Cameron Bancroft can expect to return to the BBL on December 30. @AFP

Cameron Bancroft, the Australia batsman currently serving a nine-month ban for his role in the ball-tampering controversy, can expect to be hurried back into Big Bash League (BBL) action as soon as his sentences runs to a close.

Perth Scorchers coach Adam Voges on Tuesday said that it was a “real possibility” that Bancroft slots into the franchise’s opening game of BBL 2019 on December 30, which is a day after his ban ends.

“I see a real possibility that he’ll come straight back in for that game,” Voges said on the latest episode of The Unplayable Podcast. “A lot will just depend on how we’re going at the time. There’ll be some opportunity for a number of our other batsmen in those first three games and much will be dependent probably on how they go.

“But I thought Cam, when he played for the Scorchers last year, he did a really good job, batted at three and played some really good innings for us. He’s an important part of our squads in all forms of the game, so I see him certainly putting his hand up to come straight back in. One thing I do know about Cam is he’ll be prepared. I know he won’t have played any high-level competitive cricket for a period, but it certainly hasn’t stopped him from trying to improve. He’ll be ready to go.”

The 25-year-old West Australian cricketer was banned by Cricket Australia (CA) for nine months following the Newlands Test in March, a sanction which means he could not play state cricket or in the BBL until the end of the year.

While Steve Smith and David Warner were permitted to play T20 cricket in Canada and the Caribbean while they serve 12-year suspensions, Bancroft has since March only played in the Northern Territory Strike League. He had signed with English county side Somerset but that deal was cancelled after the Newlands scandal.