Kevin Pietersen © Getty Images (File Photo)
Kevin Pietersen © Getty Images (File Photo)

London: Colin Graves, the incoming chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board, was adamant Friday that he “didn’t make any promises” to Kevin Pietersen about a possible return to Test cricket. Graves, whose tenure as ECB chairman started Friday, released a statement via the governing body’s website in his first public response to clams from Pietersen that he had received “incredibly deceitful” treatment. Kevin Pietersen devastated over England snub; to head to India for IPL 2015

Andrew Strauss, the new ECB director of cricket and Pietersen’s successor as England captain, said Tuesday that a “massive trust issue” prevented the South Africa-born batsman’s return, even though Pietersen is England’s all-time leading run-scorer across all formats. That appeared to contradict earlier comments from Graves, that a return was possible if Pietersen, in international exile since the team’s 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia last year, scored enough runs in county cricket. Andrew Strauss making English cricket laughing stock again: Graeme Smith

But shortly after Pietersen made an unbeaten triple century for Surrey against Leicestershire on Monday, Strauss told him to forget about playing for England against New Zealand and Australia this home season. Kevin Pietersen: A hero England need but do not deserve!