Karsan Ghavri's present condition is stable and is on the path of recovery © Getty Images
Karsan Ghavri’s present condition is stable and is on the path of recovery © Getty Images

Former India and Mumbai left-arm seam bowler Karsan Ghavri suffered a heart attack in the early morning and was rushed to a local hospital. His condition is said to be stable but will remain under observation for some time. The news about his current status was confirmed by Mumbai Cricket Association Joint secretary, Dr PV Shetty. The former player represented the Indian cricket team in the first two World Cups, held in 1975 and 1979, and played a total of 39 Tests and 19 ODIs. He took 109 wickets in Tests whereas ended with 15 scalps in the shorter formats with a decent bowling average.  READ: NCA reduced to rehab centre, says former pacer Karsan Ghavri

According to PTI, Dr PV Shetty stated, “Yes, Mr Ghavri suffered a heart attack earlier this morning. He was rushed to a local hospital. He has undergone angioplasty today and the doctors said that his condition is stable.”

The 65-year-old Ghavri is the coach of the West Zone Under-19 team currently participating in the NCA Zonal Under-19 tournament. It was in the wee hours of Sunday morning that he complained of chest pain and was immediately taken to a private hospital where an angiogram was performed.

Ghavri was one of the earliest new ball partners of legendary Kapil Dev during the late 70’s and early 80’s. In the Tests, he took 109 wickets with four five-wicket hauls and 913 runs with two half-centuries.

He had 452 first-class wickets and 4500 runs in 159 matches. He had also coached the Bengal Ranji Trophy team back in 2004-05 season.