Dave Richardson
Dave Richardson (AFP Photo)

India‘s security concerns in the upcoming World Cup were taken note of during the International Cricket Council‘s (ICC) latest round of quarterly meetings in Dubai on Saturday. (READ: Kumble reappointed as ICC Cricket Committee head)

The BCCI had expressed its concern about the safety and security of its players in the wake of the terrorist attack in Pulwama where more than 40 CRPF personnel were killed.

The matter was placed at the ICC Chief Executives Meeting where CEO Rahul Johri was assured by his ECB counterpart Tom Harrison of all the measures being taken.

On the concluding day of the board meeting, CEO David Richardson said: “As you would expect for a global sporting event, the ICC, in partnership with the ECB has a robust security plan in place for the Men’s Cricket World Cup.

“We work closely with the authorities in our host countries to ensure that the safety of players, officials and fans is a priority.”

Richardson said that security measures will be upgraded if need arises.

“Should those authorities raise the threat level of the event based on intelligence, we will of course uplift our security commitment as appropriate. We will continue to work with the ECB and our Members throughout the build up to and during the tournament to keep everyone abreast of the situation.”

However, it has been learnt that there was no discussion on BCCI’s plea to member nations to ostracize “countries from where terrorism emanates”.

BCCI didn’t name Pakistan in their letter but ICC had already made it clear that as per norms, there was no question of banning Pakistan.