Behrendorff is looking stake his claim for a spot in the World Cup squad in the absence of the two senior pros.
Behrendorff is looking stake his claim for a spot in the World Cup squad in the absence of the two senior pros.

Western Australia’s Jason Behrendorff, who made his ODI debut against India in earlier this year, is looking forward to proving his worth when Australia travel to India a limited-over tour that gains enough prominence with the 2019 World Cup coming up. (ALSO READ: Starc out of India tour with ‘substantial’ muscle tear; Coulter-Nile, Turner, Richardson in)

Australia are short of bowling experience with Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood ruled out of the tour due to injuries. Pat Cummins, the new vice-captain will lead the pace attack comprising Behrendorff and the recalled du0 of Kane Richardson and Nathan Coulter-Nile. (ALSO READ: Places in Australia’s World Cup squad up for grabs: Justin Langer)

The left-arm picked 2/39 and 1/52  in the first two ODIs against India, before a sore back ruled him out of the decider, but he regained full fitness in time to retain his place in the squad and is looking stake his claim for a spot in the World Cup squad in the absence of the two senior pros.

“It’s an opportunity to play well for Australia and with the World Cup coming up that’s on everyone’s radar at the moment, being such a prevalent tournament and such a good one to be a part of,” Behrendorff told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“That’s a big goal for me and to continue playing good cricket and put my name forward again. That’s all I can do is play my best and do my thing over in India and hopefully that will continue to get me selected further down the track.”

The 28-year-old will have happy memories of the India as he made his T20I debut in India in 2017 and claimed a Man-of-the Match award in the second match for his 4/21 at Guwahati. Since then injuries have curtailed his progress, forcing him to focus solely on white-ball cricket, which has paid dividends.  

“It’s unreal. I guess I look back at the decision I made a little while ago, in conjunction with the support staff, on focussing on the white ball. I’m really, really happy about that decision now,” he said. “I’ve had some great opportunities so far and I’m really looking forward to another tour with Australia. Given another opportunity it will be a great chance to prove my worth and show what I can do on the international stage and hopefully cement a bit more of a spot in that team,” he added.

Australia begin their tour on February 24 with the T20Is at Visakhapatnam and Bangalore before playing the five-match ODI series starting March 2 at Hyderabad.